Advantages that people who speak several languages have. We know that mastering English or Spanish is a basic requirement for your curriculum. Still, it doesn’t hurt to make it your goal to learn other languages. Human beings have a great capacity to process language.
A child, without a problem, can master three, four, or five languages and handle them with all ease. For adults, the process is less straightforward, as our brains no longer have as much flexibility. However, with time and a lot of dedication, we can develop our language skills in whatever languages we want.
It is inherent in multilingual meaning; beyond having access to more jobs or furthering their careers, learning a new language is a mental exercise that provides elasticity to the brain. This plasticity helps express oneself more clearly, makes it easier to transform thoughts into sentences, and even be more aware of one’s own language and the used expressions.
In this article, we highlight some advantages that people who speak several languages have so that you get excited and encouraged to learn a new language.
Meaning of polyglot
The meaning of polyglot is a person who dedicates themselves to learning and speaking several languages. Everyone can learn as many languages as their abilities allow and do it as long as they need.
Being a polyglot has benefits that differentiate someone who speaks multiple languages from others. Although most language learners say that learning a language is not a simple task, the benefits outweigh the challenges.
It is proven that the most difficult language to learn is the first one after the mother tongue. Many polyglots find it easier to learn their third or fourth language than their first, since learning new languages becomes easier with practice.
Advantages of being a polyglot
There are quite a few reasons why everyone should consider learning multiple languages. However, suppose you already know the meaning of multilingual. In that case, you may need to encourage yourself to be one to enjoy these benefits:
1) Access to endless opportunities: one’s ability to speak several languages might be just what sets it apart from the other candidates in recruitment or other applicants to a job promotion. The same can happen when applying for a scholarship to study abroad.
2) It’s an excellent exercise for the brain: experts say that language learning is one of the most practical and effective ways to exercise the brain. It gives the brain a good workout and keeps the mind sharp. And it also helps the mind to multitask.
3) Gives the person a gratifying sense of satisfaction: The ability to speak a second or third language could increase a person’s self-confidence or self-esteem.
4) Delays the effect of diseases associated with aging. Although multilingualism does not prevent diseases associated with cognitive aging (such as dementia or Alzheimer’s), it can slow down the effect of the disease on the person, as evidenced by research conducted by Bialystok at the University of York in Toronto while comparing an aging population of monolinguals and bilinguals.
5) Increases sensitivity and sharpens hearing. The polyglot has an easier time capturing sentences and processing information more quickly than other people who only speak one language.
6) It is always beneficial to think ahead and stay on top of everything. For example, suppose you want to explore the world and understand the meaning of multilingualism. In that case, you are sure that learning new languages will also help you achieve that goal.
Ways to learn a new language
Currently, many tools can help you learn the language you want to learn. Some of the best known are:
1) The teaching programs of the embassies
Each embassy has a particular teaching program aimed at the general public who wants to learn new languages. For example, the French embassy has a teaching program for all people who want to learn French. You can go to the embassy where they teach the language you want to learn and register. They are worth it because the educational quality is amazing.
2) Private institutions for language teaching
There are many countries worldwide where institutions teach language courses for all people who want to expand their languages. Some of these even offer scholarship programs for the most academically outstanding students.
3) Online courses
Many online academies were created to globalize language learning. Under this modality, you have the advantage that you can see classes with native teachers of the language you want to learn. In addition, you can have a more flexible class schedule, and you can watch the lessons from the comfort of your home. Best of all, you can also interact with colleagues from all over the world.
4) Mobile apps
Just as you read it. There are internationally recognized mobile applications (such as Bussu and Duolingo). People can learn to master a new language. These applications are highly dynamic, interactive, and comfortable for learning. They provide audio recordings so that you know the pronunciation of words; show you the meaning in your native language; they allow you to practice and evaluate your pronunciation; provide you with practice exercises, and much more.
This learning method is a little more independent since you do not have the advice of a teacher or a tutor. Still, with all the information that can be obtained from the Internet, that is unnecessary. In addition, if you dare to pay for the Premium assistance of the applications, you can get a personalized study plan. This means that the app will create a specific schedule to study when the times of the day are most comfortable for you. It will also be in charge of measuring your progress throughout the lessons.
Keys to learning a new language
1. Bring a dictionary of the language.
Although it sounds tedious and old-fashioned, currently we search for information on the Internet with a single click, but since it is not a long and frequent search, the information is not easily stored in our memory; While looking in the dictionary, encoding information in the brain activates and passes into long-term memory. The information stays there for longer to use in conversations and recognize it more easily.
If you feel it is difficult to always carry the dictionary, use the Internet to apply the word you searched for in sentences to remember it.
2. Expand your vocabulary, advantages of people who speak several languages
With the dictionary, you will increase your vocabulary in the language you want to learn. If you are a beginner, give a name (preferably written) to what is always around you (cell phone, bed, table, glass, towel, computers, sheets, headphones, book, etc.), in this way, your context will take on a meaning of its own with the new words.
3. Internalize instead of translating.
Although the translator is a very useful tool, it does not allow us to internalize the vocabulary or expressions of the language to be studied. When you learn a new word, it is fine to translate it for the first time to contextualize yourself, but use it frequently and use it in a context to avoid continuing to translate it every time.
Look up the definition in that language so you can understand it better. Try to think in that language and not pass it on to your mother tongue all the time. You will see how thinking becomes faster when speaking and expressing yourself.
4. Take advantage of the music, advantages of people who speak several languages
Pick some songs in the language you want to learn, find the lyrics, and sing them; this will help you pronounce and understand.
5. Train your ear, advantages of people who speak several languages
With music, we train the ear. In addition, if you like movies, series, programs, novels, etc., you can take advantage of these resources and select the audio in the language of your interest; you can also put subtitles to know expressions of the culture or learn new words.
Later, choose subtitles in the same language to improve understanding of conversations and situations.
6. Learn common sentences, advantages of people who speak several languages
Learn basic communication sentences such as greetings, introductions, frequently asked questions (how is the person, the time, how much it costs, etc.), the expression of biological needs, and asking for a favor. This will help you communicate with other people and stand up for yourself in whatever context you find yourself in.
7. Speak, advantages of people who speak several languages
Normally we are ashamed to make a mistake when we speak in another language. However, it is the best way to practice it. Find people who speak the language you are learning and talk to them. You can also write to them. If they correct you, take it as an apprenticeship since you learn from mistakes. There is a high probability that you will not make the same mistake again.
8. Download applications, advantages of people who speak several languages
There are many apps, paid and free, for learning languages. They make learning interactive, engaging, and at your fingertips. It is comfortable since you can practice from anywhere and at the time you want.
9. Know the culture of the countries that speak the language.
Search for their jokes, sayings, sayings, music, parties, special dates, common names, typical food, fashion, universities, and emblematic places. In this way, you can recognize their communication and what represents them.
Now that you know all the advantages that people who speak several languages have, you can find the best way to learn the language you want to learn and enjoy many job opportunities.